DVD Playing [was: pismo Qs/short rant]

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jul 25 12:51:00 2003

At 09:39 +1000 on 2003-7-25 Greg Hamilton wrote:

 > Sounds good, did you build from source or are there packages available?

Xine and xine-ui were installed from source tarballs, and I believe I
got some source RPMs for the libs though I am not that sure or know
from where did I get them.

I actually believe that RPMs are available for everything above, but
once upon a time I did try to go RPM style, and then I got killed by
useless dependencies (XEmacs with not needed Mule, which wants Canna
which I will never use, which wants... you get the picture), thing is
I came to hate pre-built RPMs, hence my RPM database does not have
much relation to what is installed anyway, hence I find it actually
easier to just grab the tarballs and compile.  But that's me, you may
want to try the RPMs before going to sources.  Sorry for the rant by
the way. :-)

 > > Details: xine-lib 1-beta12 (which includes dvdnav, so no extra NAV
 > > button is present/needed), xine-ui 0.9.20, libdvdread-0.9.4,
 > > libdvdplay 1.0.1, libdvdcss 1.2.6, all compiled from sources (GCC
 > > 2.95.4).  Everything runs (as I was saying, very well) on my rev.3
 > > Tibook (Linux 2.4.20-ben10, glibc 2.2.5).

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.