Just Curious: Which Mail Client Do You Use?

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 26 10:03:00 2003

I wholehartedly agree with the good opinion about Pine.  I actually
use (and recommend with reservations, see below) VM under some form of
Emacs (my personal preference: XEmacs).  Pros: very powerful and
flexible, fully customizable, supports all the protocols you can think
of including imap-ssl (stunnel needed), clean interface--one can get
rid of all the annoying buttons (I have just two Emacs windows in a
frame, one with headers and another with the actuaql message body),
opens mailboxes in new (X) windows if you feel like it (I do), plenty
of hooks for additional functionality (which I use).  Possible cons:
no configuration interface (you'll need to know fundamentals of Emacs
Lisp to customize the thing), sometime the hooks are poorly
documented; in general, the advanced documentation is less than
stellar.

If you don't like Emacs or don't care about Emacs Lisp, VM is probably
not for you (unless you have somebody to customize the thing for
you).  In which case I would definitely go for Pine.

Cheers,
Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.