YD 3.0, iBook dual USB UK keyboard, various problems...

Chris Croome yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 1 05:07:02 2003

Hi

I finally got around to upgrading to YellowDog 3.0 yesterday and
there are some things that I can't work out to fix and I was wondering
if others on this list might have some ideas... I have a dual USB
14" iBook that is about a year old.

- apt, using both the main site and a UK mirror I get this when I
  try to use apt (as a result I have switched to yum... but I'd like
  to switch back...):

  W: Release file did not contain checksum information for ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/apt/3.0/base/pkglist.main
  W: Release file did not contain checksum information for ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/apt/3.0/base/release.main
  W: Release file did not contain checksum information for ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/apt/3.0/base/srclist.main

- Keyboard, I selected UK using the redhat kbd config tool, and now
  I can create UK pound signs (which I couldn't do on YD 2.3),
  however I have no way of creating a #, which is a pain when trying
  to edit config files or join IRC channels! Also I have a spare
  key that does nothing, between Shift and Z, it has ~ and ` on it
  but these are actually on the key next to 1 and ! Does anyone has
  a keyboard mapping that would be better or know how I can fix this?
  I have this in my XF86Config file:

    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xfree86"
        Option      "XkbModel" "macintosh"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "gb"
    EndSection

- Video, xine kind of works but mplayer doesn't (using the
  freshrpms.net ones) and I think that perhaps I'm not using the
  right video driver, this is what I have in my XF86Config file:

    Section "Device"
        #BusID
        Identifier  "ATI Rage 128 Mobility"
        Driver      "r128"