Apple clones

Gary Shelton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Jun 1 21:16:01 2003

No doubt someone else can provide better details, but I don't think
there have been any legitimate clones produced since the introduction
of the G3 (PPC 750) processor. The guy who's working on the iBox design
isn't making clones - they're Apple replacement parts in new
enclosures. If you're looking for a clone in North America or Europe,
I'd think you'd have the best luck looking for a Power Computing, Umax,
or Motorola clone. I'm reasonably certain that all of these machines
shipped with either 601, 603, or 604 processors. That's the same as
buying an old Apple 7x00, 8x00, or 9x00. They're good machines to run
Linux on (my own mail server runs on a Motorola StarMax 4000, and I
have a 9600 that I use as a very nice workstation), but upgrading them
get a bit pricey if you're starting from scratch. Of course, you can
build the systems piecemeal, which makes it more affordable. But in
truth, unless you're buying a broken machine, no Apple is going to be
cheap. If you're wanting cheap hardware, stick with the ia32 commodity
stuff.