Apple clones

Dr. Robert M. Fuhrer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 2 18:45:01 2003

--=====================_239118023==.ALT

 From what I just saw, the CoreCrib computers use PC133 memory, which
is awfully slow. I expect that the motherboards have been harvested
from fairly old G4 machines. I wouldn't expect one of these with a
1.2GHz PPC G4 jammed in to perform anything like a new G4.

At 12:01 PM 6/2/2003 -0600,
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:
>Hmmm, you might consider going with a used older Mac, or those CoreCrib
>computers. With the CoreCrib, you could dictate exactly what you get
>and thus spend, and you'd be able to boot into OS X...
>

>On Monday, Jun 2, 2003, at 07:45 America/Los_Angeles, N.Thompson wrote:
>
> > I'm not necessarily looking for cheap stuff, I am just exploring my
> > options.
> > One of the reasons I am interested in clones is that I was simply
> > looking
> > for a basic system and the G4's (windtunnels) are not basic systems. I
> > wanted to try Mac OSX one of these day's and if that didn't work I
> > would
> > just install Linux on the box, but either way I would probably have
> > ended up
> > dual booting as that is what I alway's end up doing anyway. :-)

Cheers,
   -- Bob
--=====================_239118023==.ALT

<tt>From what I just saw, the CoreCrib computers use PC133 memory,
which<br>
is awfully slow. I expect that the motherboards have been harvested<br>
from fairly old G4 machines. I wouldn't expect one of these with a<br>
1.2GHz PPC G4 jammed in to perform anything like a new G4.<br><br>
</tt>At 12:01 PM 6/2/2003 -0600,
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:<br>
a used older Mac, or those CoreCrib&nbsp; <br>
computers. With the CoreCrib, you could dictate exactly what you
get&nbsp; <br>
and thus spend, and you'd be able to boot into OS X...<br><br>
On Monday, Jun 2, 2003, at 07:45 America/Los_Angeles, N.Thompson
wrote:<br><br>
&gt; I'm not necessarily looking for cheap stuff, I am just exploring
my&nbsp; <br>
&gt; options.<br>
&gt; One of the reasons I am interested in clones is that I was
simply&nbsp; <br>
&gt; looking<br>
&gt; for a basic system and the G4's (windtunnels) are not basic systems.
I<br>
&gt; wanted to try Mac OSX one of these day's and if that didn't work
I&nbsp; <br>
&gt; would<br>
&gt; just install Linux on the box, but either way I would probably
have&nbsp; <br>
&gt; ended up<br>
&gt; dual booting as that is what I alway's end up doing anyway.
:-)<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; ----- Original Message -----<br>
&gt; From: &quot;Gary Shelton&quot; &lt;omega996@mac.com&gt;<br>
&gt; To: &lt;yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com&gt;<br>
&gt; Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 12:45 AM<br>
&gt; Subject: Re: Apple clones<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; No doubt someone else can provide better details, but I don't
think<br>
&gt;&gt; there have been any legitimate clones produced since the
introduction<br>
&gt;&gt; of the G3 (PPC 750) processor. The guy who's working on the
iBox&nbsp; <br>
&gt;&gt; design<br>
&gt;&gt; isn't making clones - they're Apple replacement parts in
new<br>
&gt;&gt; enclosures. If you're looking for a clone in North America or
Europe,<br>
&gt;&gt; I'd think you'd have the best luck looking for a Power
Computing,&nbsp; <br>
&gt;&gt; Umax,<br>
&gt;&gt; or Motorola clone. I'm reasonably certain that all of these
machines<br>
&gt;&gt; shipped with either 601, 603, or 604 processors. That's the same
as<br>
&gt;&gt; buying an old Apple 7x00, 8x00, or 9x00. They're good machines
to run<br>
&gt;&gt; Linux on (my own mail server runs on a Motorola StarMax 4000,
and I<br>
&gt;&gt; have a 9600 that I use as a very nice workstation), but
upgrading them<br>
&gt;&gt; get a bit pricey if you're starting from scratch. Of course, you
can<br>
&gt;&gt; build the systems piecemeal, which makes it more affordable. But
in<br>
&gt;&gt; truth, unless you're buying a broken machine, no Apple is going
to be<br>
&gt;&gt; cheap. If you're wanting cheap hardware, stick with the ia32
commodity<br>
&gt;&gt; stuff.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; On Sunday, Jun 1, 2003, at 18:24 America/Los_Angeles,
N.Thompson&nbsp; <br>
&gt;&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; I have had an interest in apple computers for a while but I
have<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; noticed that<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; they don't seem to have any stores in Canada and their
prices are&nbsp; <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; also<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; high<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; (in my opinion) because there have previously been few or no
clones<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; that I<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; have know of until the iBox, does anyone know of other apple
clones&nbsp; <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; of<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; interest.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; --&nbsp; </blockquote><br>