YellowDog 3.0 on B&W G3 - Rage 128 Video Issues

Michael H. Martel yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 3 09:42:01 2003

Hello!

I've installed YDL3 on a number of different machines, and always with good
success. However my home Blue and White G3 is behaving oddly.

Stock install of YDL 3.0, no updates, stock Kernel.  Blue and White G3,
350mhz w/1gb ram.  40gb HD partitioned into two 20gb's, one for Mac OSX and
one for YDL.

When I run startx from the command prompt (or gdm) the screen blanks and
then my monitor (Viewsonic E70f) starts making all sorts of clicking noises
and the screen flickers around, and then it settles down and X starts.

Hmm.  I tried running Xautoconfig, but that didn't help. Using comments
here : <http://lppcfom.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/1043.html> I tried
passing the following arguments to yaboot.

video=aty128fb:vmode:18:cmode:24

That got me the resolution I wanted (1152x870@75Hz) but X still clicks and
Jitters when it starts up.  I don't happen to have another monitor to try
to see if that's it.

Does anyone have an XFree86 Config file for the Rage128 card that I could
try and see what I'm doing wrong ?  Or is this just the way it is ?

Many thanks!

Michael

--

   Michael H. Martel              | Systems Administrator