Fluxbox

Jonathan Atkinson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 3 13:31:00 2003

Setting up a session is a bit of a pain in the ass (or so I though);
here's how I did it.

Get yourself a root prompt. First we need to copy a create a gdm session
file. Here we'll create a copy of the default session file and call it
Fluxbox.

cd /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/
cp Default Fluxbox

Now you'll want to edit the Fluxbox file so it says something like the
following:

#!/bin/bash
exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession fluxbox

This tells gdm to pass control to the Xsession binary with the argument
fluxbox. Problem is, right now Xsession doesn't know anythign about
fluxbox :-) So we change to where the Xsession profiles are stored, and
edit the Xsession script:

cd /etc/X11/xdm/
vim Xsession

Okay,  now we need to find a specific section of the file to insert the
fluxbox functionality. Fine the part of the file (it's some way down)
which is a comment "now, we see if xdm/gdm/kdm has asked for a specific
environment". Okay, now this is where you need to add another case :-)
After the line "case $1 in", which is a few lines further down, add
something like the following:

fluxbox)
exec -l $SHELL -c "/opt/fluxbox/bin/fluxbox"
;;

Note you'll need to change the path to your fluxbox executable as
appropriate.

This is just how I did it, it's probably the wrong way to do it, but it
works :-)

--Jon