Sirius: Extreme slowness on iBook

Dan Burcaw yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 3 19:37:01 2003

> Any OpenOffice app takes 7-8 minutes (it appears in the task bar
> after 3 or 4) during which the mouse is extremely jerky and takes up
> to 30 seconds to respond to clicks.

Well, OpenOffice is a pig on my dual 1Ghz with 1.5GB of Ram.
Unfortunately, there isn't much I can recommend other then to suggest
using AbiWord or some more lightweight office programs (YDL 3 comes with
a few options).  OO is getting optimized, and I expect performance to
improve over time.

> Mozilla zoomed open and then nothing happened: I may not have given
> it long enough (it's now been over a day, though.)
> Konqueror took about 5 minutes to start, but ran reasonably after that.

Sounds like your date was set wrong when Mozilla was installed. This
happens sometimes on Mac systems due to how the hardware clock works.
Run /usr/lib/mozilla-1.2.1/mozilla-rebuild-databases.pl
and then try running Mozilla.. it should work fine...