network install

Tim Moloney yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 5 12:32:01 2003

--------------040602070804020707000107

Steve Reddehase wrote:

> Does yellow dog linux have anything like kickstart that's available
> on red hat for network installs?

Yes, they do.  It's called... kickstart.  =)

Kickstart is part of the Anaconda installer, so when Terrasoft started
using Anaconda, they greatly improved Yellow Dog Linux's ability for
unattended and network installations.

There are a few gotchas that I know of.  For any of the network
installations, the ramdisk size in the installation kernel needs
to be 16384 kB, not the default 4096 kb in the kernel, nor the
8192 kb specified in the yaboot.conf on the CD.  Also the
partitioning support is different than what Red Hat provides to
handle Mac-specific things.  Unfortunately, it's not documented
anywhere that I've seen.

As an example, I've attached a working kickstart file that I've
used to perform an unattended installation over the network onto
a PowerMac G4.

--
Tim Moloney
ManTech Real-time Systems Laboratory

--------------040602070804020707000107

#
#  powermac-g4.ks.template
#
#  Kickstart file manually generated by Tim Moloney (moloney@mrsl.com) for the
#  Apple PowerMac G4 since the version of anaconda used by Yellow Dog Linux
#  does not automatically generate a kickstart file.
#
#  To use this file, customize it as necessary, save the results to
#  powermac-g4.ks in a directory served by a web server, and use
#  the "ks=<url>" kernel argument at the "boot:" prompt.  For example,
#
#    boot: install ks=http://www.domain.com/powermac-g4.ks
#

install
#cdrom
url --url http://www.domain.com/custom/ppc
lang en_US.UTF-8
langsupport --default en_US.UTF-8 en_US.UTF-8
keyboard us
mouse generic1usb --device input/mice
xconfig --card "ATI Rage 128" --videoram 16384 --monitor "My Monitor" --resolution 1024x768 --depth 16 --startxonboot --defaultdesktop gnome
network --device eth0 --bootproto dhcp
rootpw changeme
firewall --disabled
authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5
timezone --utc America/New_York
bootloader --location=none
reboot
clearpart --all
part /yaboot --size    1 --fstype "Apple Bootstrap"
part swap    --size  256 --fstype swap
part /       --size 5120 --fstype ext3 --grow

%packages
@ Everything

%post

#
#  Cleanup from odd/incomplete handling of partitions in the Yellow Dog Linux
#  version of anaconda/kickstart.
#
mkdir /yaboot
mv /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.orig
sed -e '/Apple Bootstrap/d' < /etc/fstab.orig > /etc/fstab

--------------040602070804020707000107--