new DSL

Donu Arapura yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 11 08:13:01 2003

> After years using  dial-up I've finally got an 'SBC' DSL connection.
> Unfortunately they don't supply a Linux version of their
> software(suprise,suprise!) only Mac or MS.(I'm using a pismo G3 PB.)
>
> Can anyone suggest a howto page that will tell me how to connect my
> YDL 2.2 to SBC's external ethernet 'speedstream' modem?
>
> Also SBC uses software called Enternet which gets me on line.
> If anyone here uses SBC - any idea how I connect Linux with Enternet?
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a similar setup. At the time I got their service,
they didn't even support Macs, so we installed Enternet
on my wife's windows machine. I don't know if it has
improved, but  my experience was
  enternet + windows = crash.

I managed to download and install the roaringpenguin
pppoe client, that someone mentioned, on my yellowdog machine,
and it worked well. However, I could only connect one
machine at time. So I  got a router which solved the problem.
It also doubles as hub for our network. As an added bonus
I was able to get rid of Enternet once an for all!

So I'd agree with the others that a router is the
way to go.

- D.