new DSL

Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 12 15:07:00 2003

--Apple-Mail-2--164554809

Hi Shawn

Am Thursday, 12.06.03 um 16:32 Uhr schrieb Shawn Dunn:

> There is absolutely no reason to go buy a hardware router, rp-pppoe or
> any number of other packages work just peachy with SBC's PPPOE setup,
> as I used them fine for months before upgrading my DSL service, and
> just go read up on IpTables, they're not that hard to figure out, and
> with the ability to split interfaces to create virtual interfaces like
> eth0:1, buying a hardware router is just a waste of money.
>
> 			--Shawn W. Dunn

so maybe you have a quick answer how to configure iptables (what route
to add) to access the internet (xDSL) via ppp0 on eth0 connected to a
Luscent Cell Pipe DSL router and the intranet over a second ethernet
card (eth1) connected to a intranet hub.

I can ping both sides

ping -I eth1 192.168.0.201

works on the intranet and

ping -I ppp0 213.148.130.10

works too.

But the default  route to the internet seems to be eth1.

I'd like to have IP Masquerading enabled on ppp0 and routing all
packets between both interfaces so other intranet clients can use the
shared DSL connection on ppp0 to connect to the internet.

I had this running on Mac OS using IPNetRouter and it works well. So I
know the basics.

Can you please help me in setting up iptables?

Kind regards,

Thomas

--Apple-Mail-2--164554809

Hi Shawn

<excerpt><fixed>There is absolutely no reason to go buy a hardware
router, rp-pppoe or any number of other packages work just peachy with
SBC's PPPOE setup, as I used them fine for months before upgrading my
DSL service, and just go read up on IpTables, they're not that hard to
figure out, and with the ability to split interfaces to create virtual
interfaces like eth0:1, buying a hardware router is just a waste of
money.

			--Shawn W. Dunn

</fixed></excerpt>