3.1 soon?

Larson, Timothy E. yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 16 13:08:01 2003

>1) YDLv3.0 just came out.  If I were running the show (which I'm not...
>so I'm free to speculate) I'd want to wait at least 6 months (preferably
>a year) between releases. It costs real $$ to produce a run of CD's and
>you want to recoup as much of that as possible from sales before you
>start the process all over again.

Seemed like I had just gotten the 2.3 ISOs (hadn't had time to install) when 3.0 arrived.
But I guess it was about 10 months between these releases.
It's not their fault I'm slow.  :)

>2) YDLv3.0 is a great release!  It was a major step forward for Yellow
>Dog Linux, and I recommend it over any of the 2.x releases. However,
>there were some minor problems with the 3.0 release that are still being
>straightened out.  I'd guess that they won't start on a new release til
>they get this one under control.

Is there a changelog?
Or some sort of summary of all these nifty new features and improvements?

>3) What would you like to see in YDLv3.1 that isn't already in 3.0?
>Anything that can't be provided by the normal
>apt-get/yum/download-the-RPM method of incremental enhancements?

I had problems with my 2.3 install.
I ended up manually adding RPMs, tracing dependencies, etc.
Yuck.
I guess having apt-get (or similar) at my disposal would have helped.
Though using it over dial-up is sure to be thrilling.
I don't know what's not in 3.1 that I'd want.
(Better handling of installer errors might be nice, so it doesn't just bail out.)
I'm hoping to set up a box for full-time regular desktop use.
So far (since 2.1) I've just been putzing around, trying to learn stuff.

Tim
--
Tim Larson     <><   <><   <><   <><   <><     OL 4-131-2
Info. Services - Internal Medicine Clinical Systems, Mayo Clinic, Rochester