Re: PowerComputing Clone with CD-ROM issues on YD L Install

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jun 18 16:26:00 2003

On Wednesday, June 18, 2003, at 08:27  AM, Seth Dimbert wrote:

> Lemme ask this: Does the terminated drive need to be at the physical
> end of
> the SCSI chain? Right now, the ribbon cable runs from the Bus, through
> two
> HDD's, into the terminated HDD then to the CD-ROM.
>
> Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

That would be improper termination all right.  Properly terminated SCSI
chains have one terminator (or terminated device) at each end of the
cable, and nowhere else.  Under most circumstances, Macintosh internal
SCSI busses have termination on the motherboard, so you only need to
worry about terminating the other end of the cable.

Proper termination gets more critical the greater the number of devices
you try to use.  At four devices I wouldn't be surprised if you begin
to have problems.