HFS+

Natalia Portillo yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 19 09:41:01 2003

> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Natalia Portillo wrote:
> >Will, when hfs+ driver's finish, be possible to install YDL
> on an HFS+
> >partition?
>
>  Ugh, I hope not. HFS+ is a kludge of a file system. It's bad
> enough that
> Apple uses it (they tried to drop it and move to UFS but that failed
> miserably). If for some reason it did manage to work, it
> would probably be
> very strongly recommended to not do so.

Is very easy speak bad of a thing without probing that words.

Did you compared HFS+ with, ext3, UFS, etc?
Sure Apple did.

Also, in theory at least, HFS+ is better than UFS -> it uses B+Trees
(probed faster than i-nodes), journaling, and has support for POSIX ACLs
(rwxrwxrwx) and links (both hard and soft). It is also highly
GUI-optimized, as it stores icon-positions, associations of documents
with apps, and each file has an unique-id that help programs finding a
file, even when it is moved or renamed. Things that no other file system
have.

So, please, before talking bad about some thing, have something to probe
that.