Which .config to make new kernel?

Sakari Aaltonen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 19 14:50:01 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, mamonbbux wrote:

>=20
> Sakari Aaltonen a =E9crit:
> 'uname -a' says "2.4.20-8d." But
> > there seems to be no .config by that name.
>=20
> did you check in /boot ?
>=20
> [root@bbux root]# ls /boot
> config-2.4.20-8d <------------------- //--\\

No, I didn't. I didn't know about /boot. But yes - there is a=20
"config-2.4.20-8d" there. On the other hand, it is identical
to the /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs/kernel-2.4.20-ppc.config
already suggested.

So I made "bzImage" without changing anything. No errors. But
the resulting 'vmlinux' is not identical to the 'vmlinux-2.4.20-8d'
in /boot. For one thing, it's about 16Kbytes larger. What is going on?

Another thing - if I do "xconfig" and don't change anything, just save
and exit, the resulting .config is different from the .config.old file.
And there is an error message:

ERROR - Attempting to write value for unconfigured variable
(CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE).

Again, what is going on?=20

In any case, I wish I knew whether ALSA can, in fact, be used with a
PowerPC.

Thank you,
Sakari Aaltonen