YDL 3.0 Crashes 800 MHz Titaniam Laptop

John Howland yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jun 20 15:36:00 2003

I have a G4 Titanium laptop which repeatededly crashes
while running YDL 3.0.  The machine runs the Apple diagonistics
and seems to run OSX in reliable fashion.  Does anyone else
have this experience?

I have installed everything and found that
pwrctl and pwrctl-local in /etc/power were not executable.
Various pmud features were not available until file modes
were changed.  I found that by default pmud runs the
processor at 667 MHz rather than 800 MHz even when running
on AC power.  I introduced the code:

case "$2" in
ac)
        $logger -p daemon.info -t pwrctl-local "setting cpu speed 800000 MHz"
        echo -n "800000:800000:performance" > /proc/cpufreq
;;
battery)
        $logger -p daemon.info -t pwrctl-local "setting cpu speed 667000 MHz"
        echo -n "667000:667000:powersave" > /proc/cpufreq
;;
esac

in pwrctl-local to run faster when on AC.  I cannot trace the kernel
crashes to this change as the machine crashes when pwrctl and
pwrctl-local and pmud are disabled.

I have compiled kernels but have been unable to achieve the same
kernel features as YDL 3.0 and the kernels I've built also
crash the machine.  The crashes are easiest to produce by compiling
a kernel, but sometimes come when the machine is not being used.

I would appreciate any input or suggestions before I send the
machine back to Apple (for the second time) for repairs.

John E. Howland       url: http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~jhowland/
Computer Science    email: jhowland@ariel.cs.trinity.edu
Trinity University  voice: (210) 999-7364
One Trinity Place     fax: (210) 999-7477
San Antonio, Texas  78212-7200