usb printer

Stephen Harker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 23 00:39:02 2003

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 09:02:46PM -0500, Christopher Baskind wrote:
> On boot, I'm seeing an error I hadn't noticed before. Modprobe can't locate
> "usbcore." Anyone know if this error relates to my USB printing issues?

It is unlikely to help.  What version of the kernel are you using?
Have you got usbview installed?  If so, does it list the printer?

> > > I just use the CUPS `web' interface (http://localhost:631) and set up
> >
> > when I click on the link I can surf all the
> > "ESP:Administration:Classes:Helps:Jobs:Printers:Software" website
> >
> > I've tried to administrationing, but it made the result=>Null that

What have you tried?  The only one that matters is the Printers
selection, that is the one that leads to setting up the printer.

> > I've also an Epson C60, and everything is the same until "nothing
> > happens". In fact, my Epson starts.. eats paper.. hic!.. stop'n'stuck
> > About half an A4, that C60 can eat . but cups says ok, work is done !

Well, at least you seem to be talking to the printer.  This is better
than Christopher appears to be managing.  What printer driver are you
using?  Is it the gimp-print one, or one that is built into CUPS?  Do
you get _anything_ printed on the paper or is it completely blank?
This certainly sounds like a printer driver problem.  If you are using
the gimp-print drivers then what version?  I have only used the
gimp-print drivers.  The problems you mention sound like those I had
with LPRng under YDL 2.1, before I changed to CUPS/gimp-print.

In /etc/cups/ppd I have a lp0.ppd with the relevant information from
the gimp-print drivers.  Early in the file it has the following
comment:

         EPSON Stylus C40UX, CUPS+GIMP-print v4.2.3

You could try http://www.linuxprinting.org/ they have a fair range of
information that may help.

> > I don't understand anything about theses classes and all, I don't want
> > to use login/pass to configure C60, I don't want a gui-tool...
> > I'd want to use only the scripts (in /etc/cups ?) and to know what's the
> > minimum I have to change from the "default" config

Since I have not tried to set up through a command line I can't give
any advice or other useful comments.  For what it might be worth, the
following appears to be the relevant portion of my
/etc/cups/printers.conf

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.14
# Written by cupsd on Sun 22 Jun 2003 10:41:23 PM GMT
<Printer lp0>
Info Epson C40UX
Location USB port
DeviceURI usb:/dev/usb/lp0
State Stopped
StateMessage Paused
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

--
Stephen Harker                           Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
School of Physics and Materials Engineering