Strange problem with arts

Angela Kahealani yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 23 23:27:01 2003

On Monday 23 June 2003 18:47, dave wrote:
> Hi
>   I'm having a strange problem with the arts sound system. When I first
> log on I get the message /dev/dsp no such device. Then if I make any
> changes to arts it starts working. It dosen't matter what I change once
> I hit apply it works. Then when I reboot I get the same message. I am
> using a imac dv 450. Anybody have any ideas.

I experience that "the system" keeps "correcting" permissions on
/dev devices to make them only available to root, and that I have
to repair them to make them accessible every time I log-in...
/dev/scanner --> /dev/sg1
/dev/dvd --> /dev/scd0
/dev/cdrom --> /dev/hdc
/dev/dsp
all revert to group root and permissions 600,
and I keep manually changing them to 660 group "disk",
where my user account is a member of group disk.

Thus XSANE can't find scanner, sound doesn't work, and I can't
write DVD-RAMs until I patch up permissions... does anyone know
where there is a template of ownership / permissions that
the OS keeps using to "correct" the settings in /dev, so I can
change the template once instead of the individual devices every login?

--
CopyRight 2003 Angela Kahealani. http://www.kahealani.com/
All Rights Reserved Without Prejudice, UCC 1-207,