ydl 3.0 on 7500 (window too small during install to use)

Mike Haase yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jun 24 21:06:01 2003

I have a 7500 with a 300mhz G3 and an orange micro grappler card and a 3dfx
voodoo 5 5500 card.  I have been running YLD 2.3 for a while using the fbdev
video driver.  My sons were whining that the video was so slow that playing
x-pilot was a bummer and suggested I upgrade to ydl 3.0 (because they
thought it supported 3dfx in 2d mode).  When I run boot-x it brings up a
screen (big blue screen not too different from the bsod) and announces it is
minutes or so.  Then it starts X and thats where the fun begins.  The window
is badly colored and is scrunched into 1/3 of the (17" Sony) screen.  So it
is impossible to continue.

I have tried suggesting to bootx that it should use video=fbdev:800x600@75
and maybe video=fbdev:800x600_24@75 and certainly video=fbdev.  To some
extent this monolog has had an effect:  sometimes there is no video at all
otherwise the window is unchanged.  Any Hints?