llinux server for macs?

Nicholas Forelli yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jun 26 16:48:01 2003

--Apple-Mail-2-1051121932
	delsp=yes;
	charset=US-ASCII;
	format=flowed

i'm trying to create a ydl server for my macs but i have a little
situation.  i have installed partitions for mac os9, ydl and then
another partition for all my files in hfs format.  the reason for this
is b/c if something happens with the linux partition then i can boot up
in os9 and share my files that way until i can fix the problem.  i also
have a separate hd formated in hfs and want to use that to backup files
(its hfs for the same reason).  is there a size restriction with hfs
mounted partitions?(i need alot of space)  is it possible to share
these files with macs on the network? i read this thread which points
to yes.

"Unfortunately, that approach doesn't work too well if you're sharing
that
filesystem over a network, e.g. using netatalk like I do.  Only one
user at a
time, i.e. the user who has the filesystem mounted, can get access to
it.  With
the umask approach, network access to the filesystem can be as open or
closed
as you want to make it.
Alan Somers"

http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2003-
May/008091.html

i have the hfs file partition in the fstab and it works fine with this
config

/dev/hda10          /mnt/macos          hfs          umask=000
1  2

i haven't had much success with netatalk yet but i've just started
playing with it.
i've read about some problems with quark docs and linux but not sure if
they had the same config that i want.  any help would be great. thanks
nick
--Apple-Mail-2-1051121932

<bigger>i'm trying to create a ydl server for my macs but i have a
little situation.  i have installed partitions for mac os9, ydl and
then another partition for all my files in hfs format.  the reason for
this is b/c if something happens with the linux partition then i can
boot up in os9 and share my files that way until i can fix the
problem.  i also have a separate hd formated in hfs and want to use
that to backup files (its hfs for the same reason).  is there a size
restriction with hfs mounted partitions?(i need alot of space)  is it
possible to share these files with macs on the network? i read this
thread which points to yes.

too well if you're sharing that

filesystem over a network, e.g. <underline>using netatalk like I
do</underline>.  Only one user at a

time, i.e. the user who has the filesystem mounted, can get access to
it.  With

the umask approach, network access to the filesystem can be as open or
closed

as you want to make it.

Alan Somers"

i have the hfs file partition in the fstab and it works fine with this

/dev/hda10          /mnt/macos          hfs          umask=000
1  2

</fontfamily></italic>i haven't had much success with netatalk yet but
i've just started playing with it.

i've read about some problems with quark docs and linux but not sure
if they had the same config that i want.  any help would be great.
thanks

nick</bigger>
--Apple-Mail-2-1051121932--