Images not displaying for SOME browsers. Apache?

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Mar 1 15:27:01 2003

The setup:

I have two webservers.  Both are running:
    *Redhat Linux 7.1
    *Apache 1.3.27
    *PHP 4.3.1
    *mySQL 3.23.55
The first server has 3 virtual hosts, including
http://www.shaunjarvis.com.  This is the site that is
experiencing strange behaviour.

The problem:

While some of the sites images will load others will not.
I'm not talking about broken links... I mean the images
never load.  The progress bar in IE never gets far and the
status bar says "Loading imagexxxxxxx.jpg.  The image never
fully loads.
The really weird part is that this doesn't happen to all
clients.  For instance, Mac's and Linux doesn't seem to have
this problem (even Mac's with IE).  But on the 6 Windows
2k/NT machines I've tried it on it does.  I have had people
tell me that it works on their win2k box and others that say
it doesn't doesn't.

What I've done so far:

    *I set up a second server w/o any virtual hosts and
copied over my files.  The problem is exactly the same over
there.
    *If I download the files to my local workstation it
works just fine.
    *Tried linking images from other webservers (ie:  img
src="http://www.yahoo.com/someimage.jpg").  This works fine.
 If I try to link from images that are from other websites
hosted on the same server but different virtual host it
doesn't work (even though I can view it on their original
host).
    *Tried messing with permissions of the files (including
777 temporarily).  Still nothing.

Has anyone heard of such things before?  Any help would be
GREATLY appreciated as I've been dealing with this for
almost 2 weeks!

If you visit the site and it works for you it would help if
you emailed me with your OS/browser version so I can try to
narrow down which it's not working on.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

"We're surrounded...  that simplifies our problem."
      -- Chesty Puller, USMC