ttyS0/1 both on modem port, printer port not working

Jeff Laughlin yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 2 16:06:01 2003

I should also mention some of the things I tried to resolve this.

It occurred to me that the box might be trying to use the printer port for
appletalk. I compiled a kernel without any appletalk support, and also
booted into macos and disabled appletalk. Appletalk had been set to use the
printer port so I had high hopes, but it didn't help. Maybe I should try
setting appletalk to the modem port and see if they symptoms change. I
figured some weird daemon might be using it, so I dumped to single user
mode but it didn't help. Anyway, a daemon using the printer port shouldn't
cause ttyS1 to map to the modem port.

I have tried various kernels, including the stock 2.2 and 2.4 kernels that
come with YDL 2.3, and the latest 2.4.21-pre4 bitkeeper kernel from
ppckernel.org. That leads me to belive that the problem may not lie in the
kernel.

As you can see from my previous post, the kernel appears to correctly
detect and configure both ports, and the device files show the correct
major and minor numbers.

I plugged in a Keyspan USB serial adaptor, and that works correctly on ttyUSB0.

One thing I can't find is anybody else with a powermac 7500 who has talked
about a similar problem. Are there any other PM7500 users out there who
have successfully used both serial ports? Is it possible my machine is just
goofy? I have done a lot of mucking about in the openfirmware, but I've
since zapped the pram so... I'm at a loss.
-73, Jeff

Jeffrey M. Laughlin        School  : (802)728-1102
jlaughli@vtc.edu           Home    : (802)878-0496
n1ywb@amsat.org            http://solstice.vtc.edu/~jlaughli/