Building KDE 3.1 without konstruct ...

Markus Deistler yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 4 11:27:01 2003

Hi,

I just realized that there are many postings concerning building KDE3.1
... I am about building it from rpm-source-packages (from
Redhat-Rawhide). I got past the kdelips-package, with some tweaking of
rpm-specfiles. Just now I am waiting whether kdebase builds nicely
(finger crossing).

I thought it was a good idea to tell you what difficulties you might
expect. Building Qt 3.2.1 might be the worst obstacle ...

0) Lots of trouble might be bypassed by installing more current build
tools (binutils, autoconf, automake are dated in YDL-2.3, and I decided
to build a gcc-2.96 in order to replace the older/too old (?)
c++-frontend of gcc-2.95.4).

1) The rpm-specfile for the new qt-3.1.1 includes a BuildReq
XFree86-devel >= 4.2.99 !!
I don't know why or whether any older XFree86-devel-package might cause
trouble, because I had built and installed XF4.2.99 a few weeks before.
XF4.2.99 ironically *did* cause trouble because its devel-package
doesn't install Xft1-headers which are required by qt-3.1.1 (for
font-aliasing-support): if your
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xft is empty, you may have to copy there
XftCompat.h
XftFreetype.h
Xft.h
xftint.h
or at least XftFreetype.h and Xft.h from an XFree86-tarball ...;
I forgot: Xft2-headers don't work.

2) In /usr/X11R6/lib a symlink from libXft.so --> libXft.so.1.2 is
necessary.

3) Missing libstdc++-headers(??): YDL doesn't offer any
libstdc++-headers (or a package "libstdc++-devel"), or I just missed
it when I searched YDL-ftp-mirrors and rpmfind.net (my apt is broken
because I haven't yet recompiled it after I got rpm-4.1). Qt is written
in c++ and is likely to require libstdc++-headers. As I decided to build
a new set of compilers from source anyway I got new c++ headers, I am
just wondering where YDL has hidden away that stuff ??

[ I don't know how konstruct takes care of this and pulls c++-headers
from somewhere ]

[ gcc-3.2.2 does also build nicely at least on my PPC, but it gives a
new libstdc++ which isn't quite compatible to its predecessor, so you
must keep two versions of libstdc++ on your system or 124 or more apps
won't work anymore. If you build the qt-designer-package with gcc-3.2.2
and new libstdc++ you it might be a good idea to recompile XFree86 with
gcc-3.2.2 before, so that libGLU gets linked to the new libstdc++,
because qt's designer-libs are later linked to libGLU. Another problem
might be that unpatched "arts" isn't supposed to build well with
gcc-3.2.2, that said redhat-rawhide provides a patched arts which is
supposed to build well with gcc-3.2.2 ... YMMV ]

Best Regards, Markus