ftp site

Chris Croome yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Mar 5 09:40:01 2003

Hi

On Wed 05-Mar-2003 at 09:12:00AM -0500, nathan r. hruby wrote:

> Also, the every 2 month survey just to get updates is a bit much -
> espically when they could modify up2date to use a mirror site to
> save their bandwidth and cut costs.

There is a lot of discussion on this here:

  Getting Red Hat Network support for free just got harder
  http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/03/03/138248.shtml

I think that some kind of P2P system is what we are going to need in
the long run.

I really hope that the things that RedHat are doing to make free
updates harder for the less experienced users doesn't result in a
lot of RH boxes running insecure versions in six months time and a
worm rooting them all :-(

A big thank you to YellowDog for using apt and mirrors and avoiding
this whole mess :-)

Chris

--
Chris Croome                               <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>