YDL 3.0 is out!

Markus Deistler yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Mar 18 20:45:08 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 04.51 Tony K wrote.:

> Check out homepage.

On
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/products/ydl.shtml it says:
"You have never before seen anything like this on your Mac!"

Does this refer to the Bluecurve-desktop?

I saw Bluecurve on my Mac just a day ago :-)), it's a really nice theme,
just it happens to have a few of redhat-icons (instead of the original
KDE-icons or YDL-icons that can be seen in the screenshots), because I
built it from src.rpms from redhat-rawhide ...

I am now wondering what was wrong with the original KDE-icons, notably
for the K-Menu? I am not against a partial "redhatification" or
"yellowdogification" of desktops in order to indicate "hey, we have
packaged and slightly enhanced that stuff for you", but now it might
look (at least to new users) as if RH or YDL actually have made KDE ...;

Some of these icons/logos are also registered trademarks or are
copyrighted, what does it mean? Let's say I pull just the
desktop-sourcecode from an YDL-mirror (or any other mirror of any other
commercial distributor) and build all stuff and give the
desktop-binaries to a friend for free - is that illegal because now I
give away a few logos/icons, too? If I do this as a service for money?
Do I have to purge all logos/icons and to use the original
KDE-logos/icons again?

Sorry for those questions, but in times where things that once belonged
to "fair use" have become illegal ...

Markus