Getting 3.0 now?

Dan Burcaw yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Mar 20 21:27:01 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 21:06, Jonathan C. Sitte wrote:
> btate@esynesis.net wrote:
> > If anyone actually has 3.0 would you consider setting up a small ftp server for others like myself
> > (I'm waiting to buy the geek set) to download it from?  For instance once I get the disk from
> > someone I'll open an anon ftp service on my server temporarily (until the main servers are public)
> > (and only let 3-4 people in at a time for fast downloads)...If enough of us did this, at least those
> > on the list could get it in now. Another alternative would be p2p software.  I'm only so anxious
> > because 2.3 sucks on an iBook2, to the point it is not really useable.
> >
> > Just a thought,
>
> Seems like a good idea but is it good for Yellow Dog? Don't you want to
> support them? Why don't you get the YDL.net?

The whole idea of YDL.net Enhanced is to allow users that are willing to
support Terra Soft a means to do so *and* and receive YDL 3.0
immediately.  Not everyone wants/needs physical CDs or t-shirts.  While
we can't prevent them from giving their friends a copy of the ISOs that
they've paid for via their subscription, let me talk about a few of the
repercussions for doing so.

First of all, distributing the ISOs would seriously undermine the people
that have paid to support us. In addition, this revenue helps us
continue to develop YDL.  Especially in the current economic climate,
this is of major concern.  (As an aside, selling YDL
from downloaded or copied images violates two trademarks, copyright
protected designs, etc. ... GPL allows for free distribution of the
content, not the trademarked and copywritten material).

Again, we can't stop people, but suggest they consider the impact such
an action would have on Terra Soft, the sustainability of Yellow Dog
Linux, and their fellow members of the YDL user community.

Regards,
-Dan