reboot after installation fails

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 21 00:04:01 2003

Andy,

> I tried to install YDL on an Xserve with the special Xserve YDL ISO.
> The Installation was obviously successful, but no bootable system
> could be found after rebooting.

We have an Xserve that is only running Linux, so we're in the same boat.
And it's running just great.

As far as I can see, the reason for the failure was your removal of the
Mac special partitions.  A Mac will not boot at all without them.  Boot
Mac OS X from the CD, install it, and then boot from the YDL CD.  You
can take out the Mac OS X partition, but you must leave the Mac
partitions 1-8 as indicated below (partition map from our machine):

# pdisk -l /dev/hde

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hde'
 #:                type name               length   base      ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple                  63 @ 1
 2:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh              56 @ 64
 3:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh              56 @ 120
 4:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh              56 @ 176
 5:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh              56 @ 232
 6:      Apple_FWDriver Macintosh             512 @ 288
 7:  Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh             512 @ 800
 8:       Apple_Patches Patch Partition       512 @ 1312
 9:     Apple_Bootstrap untitled            20481 @ 1824      ( 10.0M)
10:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap               524289 @ 22305     (256.0M)
11:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled           131073 @ 546594    ( 64.0M)
12:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled         16777217 @ 677667    (  8.0G)
13:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled        102648315 @ 17454884  ( 48.9G)
14:          Apple_Free Extra                   1 @ 120103199

> Should I have left the OS X Partitons on the disk? - resp., do YDL
> need any Mac OS installation?

YDL doesn't need Mac OS, but the machine itself won't boot unless you
have these partitions left.  Note that there is no Mac OS on any of
these partitions.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,

File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.