Mounting DVD disk

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 21 08:27:01 2003

At 23:22 -0500 on 2003-3-20 Tony K. wrote:

 > when I try mount the DVD data disk it tells me that I must supply
 > the file system:
 >
 > [root]# mount -t auto /dev/hde /mnt/cdrom
 > /dev/hde: Invalid argument
 > mount: block deveice /dev/hde is write protected, mounting read-only
 > /dev/hde: Invalid argument
 > mount: you must specify the filesystem type
 >
 > I tried also viewing this data DVD disk with MacOSX.  It will
 > mount, but it shows it as empty.

Hmm, I was kind of hoping that the system will be able to figure out
the file system.  It doesn't (in both Linux and OS X it appears), so
it is basically a matter of guessing what file system is on it.  I
have no idea whatsoever what file system is created by Windows (or for
that matter by any other OS) on DVDs.

However, I notice that the UDF filesystem is "the new file system used
on some CD-ROMs and DVDs" (I am quoting from the help in the kernel
source).  So might it be the type of your DVD's file system?  Try (but
don't hold your breath)

   mount -t udf /dev/hde /mnt/cdrom

This may fail because your disk is not UDF, or because you do not have
UDF support compiled in your kernel (I am trying to remember which was
the default option, but I cannot).

Anybody on this list knows what file system is usually on DVDs?
Sorry, I have never used such (except commercial ones, whose file
system is autodetected so I did not bother to check it out).

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.