reboot after installation fails

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 21 15:54:01 2003

On Thursday, March 20, 2003, at 11:02  PM, Atro Tossavainen wrote:

> As far as I can see, the reason for the failure was your removal of the
> Mac special partitions.  A Mac will not boot at all without them.  Boot
> Mac OS X from the CD, install it, and then boot from the YDL CD.  You
> can take out the Mac OS X partition, but you must leave the Mac
> partitions 1-8 as indicated below (partition map from our machine):

That simply isn't true.  The only operating system that requires those
special partitions to be present is MacOS 9 (or earlier), because they
are MacOS 9 device drivers that 9 needs to mount or boot data
partitions on that disk.  If you partition a disk using the OS X Disk
Utility, there is an option to not create them.  I have booted both OS
X and Linux off drives that have only two or three partitions because
none of the MacOS9 driver partitions are present.