Getting 3.0 now?

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 21 16:31:01 2003

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, John Duarte wrote:
> If you have questions about configuring your iBook with YDL post them here.
> This list is here to help.

Thanks, I'll probably try some more this weekend, since it will be a while until I get 3.0.  I've
been using IRC #yellowdog a lot, but I've run into a few road blocks. BTW, in my last message I had
a typo, I have an iBook3 not an iBook2.

> You don't have to wait for 3.0. With a fresh kernel (see New sleep code for
> ATI M6, M7, and M9) I think everything but the external video works.

To get the screen to be in a decent resolution I had to apply a bunch of patches listed here
(http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/hardware/breakdown/ibook.shtml) including a kernel rpm.  But
the Dvd player(s) I tried (xine and ogle) needed the kernel headers, and there was no SRPM.  So I
built a custom 2.4.20 kernel which did work a lot better for most things, and allowed xine and ogle
to build, and running them does play dvds but the quality is low (800x600 at 8bits).

Is there somewhere I can find what changes I need to make (config/driver/etc) to get better video
with a newer kernel?

Thanks,

Bryce