Concerning the MD5 checksums and bandwidth

Kai Staats yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Mar 22 23:37:01 2003

YDL.net Downloaders:

To those of you who are downloading the ISOs and experiencing false MD5
checksums, slow bandwidth, or both.

We have been unable to isolate the cause of the MD5 checksum errors. The
router states the traffic is clean, therefore, we can only surmise an issue
with the NIC or drive associate with our primary YDL.net server. We therefore
setup a second server (Xserve) which you may access at iso.ydl.net (http) in
place of ftp.ydl.net.

It is our desire for everyone to move to that server immediately. If you have
attempted ftp.ydl.net, and were not successful, do NOT attempt this same
server again. Instead, point your browser to iso.ydl.net.

As for bandwidth, we have our fiber set to 8Mb. While the traffic momentarily
pushes slightly over this, the continuous throughput is sustaining between
6.5 and 7.5Mb. In general, this means that if you are experiencing something
as low as 20k, there is likely a router or datapipe between your location and
ours that is inhibiting the transfer moreso than our current bandwidth
ceiling.

As Dan shared in a previous post, we will of course be pleased to promptly
deliver a set of CD-Rs for those of you who are unsuccessful in completing a
download as we are by no means desiring to inhibit your enjoyment of Yellow
Dog Linux v3.0.

Sincerely,
kai