reboot after installation fails

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 23 05:23:01 2003

On Saturday, March 22, 2003, at 07:37  PM, Andreas Pack wrote:

> I forgot something to say ;)
>
> /dev/hde10 !was! my bootstrap-partition first. I read in the yaboot
> howto, that this partition should have the partition number 2.

It doesn't have to be number 2, but it is best to have it be the first
bootable partition on the drive.  If Open Firmware's boot-device
setting is incorrect, OF will scan all drives for bootable partitions
and will boot the first one it finds.  By making the Linux bootstrap
partition have as low a number as possible, you ensure that OF will
boot from it rather than other partitions.

This all tends to be irrelevant on single-OS machines, because on them
there is only a single bootable partition.