yellowdog-general digest, Vol 1 #728 - 14 msgs

Jonathan Walton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Mar 27 00:29:00 2003

>    At this point v2.3 YDL does NOT support external monitors (at least not
> my IBM p202 monitor). That's my only reason for not using it on my
> powerbook g4. Not sure if v3 has made any headway in this regard.

I got mirroring to work on my G3-powerbook.  I actually wrote a
little program which sent the right ioctls to the driver.  Later, I
figured there are some kernel args you can throw to get the same thing:
     video=aty128fb:lcd:1,crt:1
or by adding the following to the appropriate image=... section of
your yaboot.conf file:
     append = "video=aty128fb:lcd:1,crt:1"

But I only got mirroring... not dual-head support.  And that's the main
reason I moved away from YDL for the moment too.

> Isn't this handled by XFree86? I would think that this is possible with
> the right extensions from an XFree compile.

If memory serves, the generic Rage driver supports multihead through a
single chip, but the specific Rage128 doesn't.  Then there was a
separate fbdev driver which also sounded like it might have multihead
support through a single chip but again I couldn't get it to work.  So
while XFree86 handles it in general, I think there are some specifics
missing.  [I'll admit that I didn't really know exactly what I was
looking for when I was looking at this, and that I haven't looked at it
in a couple months]

Jonathan