YDL & router -- progress, maybe

Beartooth yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 28 21:19:01 2003

	Having now worked through the directions in the manual and on
the website yet again, I  get to /etc/rc/d/init.d/network stop (which
shuts down both eth0 and eth1, marking them OK), and
/etc/rc/d/init.d/network start (which sets network parameters, so it
says, and brings up lo, eth0, eth1 and ppp1, marking them OK). But my
browsers don't connect -- even to 192.168.1.1, nor can I ping even that.

	So I try to shoot the trouble by doing netstat -rn (which gives
three lines with 0.0.0.0 under Gateway (one for eth1, one for eth0, and
then the one for eth1 again) -- and nothing else, btw.

	All three have 127.0.0.1 under Destination and 255.0.0.0 under
Genmask; in fact, all are identical across the board except for the
labels eth1 and eth0.

	The site says somewhat ambiguously "If there are any 0.0.0.0
routes other than the airport, remove them as follows: route del default
(IP address) [enter]"

	Doing that with 127.0.0.1 gets me "SIOCDELRT: No such process"
-- and my note in my manual tells me I hit that snag before, when I
configured YDL to work with the airport rather than the linksys router.
But the not does not say how I finally got past it, alas!

	I tried doing it with 255.0.0.0 -- same result.

	I'm pretty sure what I finally found that worked was in a howto
at http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/ *somewhere* (but not in the
manual)  -- but now I can't find it on the site any more (and my notes,
other than the marginalia in the manual, don't seem to contain it
either, alas!). Maybe it was in an email on this list -- and if so, the
printout I'd've made must've gotten separated. And be in storage till
July at the moving & storage company.

	Does this much help anybody spot the remaining problem? I'm a
rag ...

--
Beartooth the Stubborn <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
Double Retiree, Neo-Redneck, Linuxer's Apprentice