Can't boot

Barry yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 28 21:24:01 2003

Help! My inexperience is showing.

My machine will not longer boot up.

I compiled a new kernel for my G4-450, with YDL 2.3. The system had been
up and running since Nov. with a 2.4.19 kernel I compiled at the time.

The new kernel, 2.4.20, compiled fine. But one of the scsi modules
failed -- I didn't think that was fatal. I left the default as the
kernel I'd been using, added the new kernel as an option to
yaboot.config and ran ybin. When the new kernel wouldn't boot, I simply
tried rebooting to the default. No good. I then tried the 2.2 kernel
that comes with YDL, and no good again.

Each time I restart the system fails at
    Mounting proc filesystem: dup2 bad file descriptor

After a few more lines of failure -- setting the clock, loading the
keymap, starting swap and setting hostname, bootup stops.

At that point, in readonly, it seems that my partitions are intact and
that  there are no filesystem errors.

I tried recreating the boot partition to restore yaboot to the original
state. Still fail to boot at the same place.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Barry