install of 2.3

Morgan Doocy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 30 14:07:02 2003

I've been troubleshooting the same issue, and although I haven't
figured it out yet, perhaps I can help you get started.

First of all, the most helpful thing I did was prevent X from
respawning, cutting the number of "blinks" from about 20 to 3, greatly
preserving my patience while doing trial-and-error. To do this, I
edited /etc/inittab and changed "respawn" to "once" in the last line:

x:5:once:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

I'd highly recommend doing this until you're finished troubleshooting.

I can't quite tell if you've tried using Xconfigurator outside of the
installation, but if not, have a go at trying various methods (Simple,
Custom, Failsafe) in Xconfigurator by itself (just issue
`Xconfigurator` at the shell). If you're unable to get it to work using
Simple or Custom, Failsafe should still will work, enabling you to at
least get X running, albeit without acceleration (this is where I stand
currently).

In my troubleshooting, I started by comparing XF86Config files from
various trial Xconfigurator runs (Simple, Custom, etc.) to Failsafe, to
try and figure out what was making Failsafe work. I noticed that even
when Xconfigurator said it was going to install the driver for my card
it still just used fbdev, which is the same driver Failsafe uses. So it
would appear as though Xconfigurator wasn't even installing
acceleration for my card when it said it was.

I have an ATi Rage Orion, so I did some research and found that it uses
the driver 'r128'. [ http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/4.3.0/r128.html ] I
made various attempts at replacing 'fbdev' with 'r128', and still had
no luck.

Currently I'm still sifting through my various XF86Config-4 files to
try and piece together a working one with acceleration. I've been
checking /var/log/XFree86.0.log with every change I make, and so far
I've been able to get it further and further into the loading process
by taking care of the error messages it gives me there. I'm stuck on
the following:

Symbol drmFreeBufs from module
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/r128_drv.o is unresolved!
Symbol drmR128TextureBlit from module
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/r128_drv.o is unresolved!
Symbol drmFreeBufs from module
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/r128_drv.o is unresolved!

...which it gives me in the middle of loading the module 'xaa'.

Of course, I'm able to use X with the Failsafe configuration, but the
interface is slow enough that until I get it accelerated, I'll just be
using the console to do what I need to do.

I'm also currently looking at framebuffer drivers to accelerate my
console. [ http://www.linux-fbdev.org/drivers/index.html ] No luck yet
getting 'aty128fb' to work either. I'll let you know if I get anything
to work.

Hope that helps a little, and if anyone else has some insight to offer
me on where I'm stuck, I'd much appreciate it.

Cheers,

Morgan