YDL & router (#1 of 2)

Beartooth yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 30 17:27:01 2003

	To simplify your reading (I hope) I have forwarded to myself a
digest edited down to just the two posts on this topic, and will reply
specifically to that -- i.e., both posts -- right after this one.

	Let me preface my specific reply with a real oddity, recounting
which is the purpose of this post. Something in Ron McCall's post
somehow triggered a synapse, and I realized that when the manual says
"We assume you have already configured ethernet ... run netconfig at the
[root] prompt," they mean with the ethernet cable plugged in. Duhh ...

	So I did that, ran it, and it connected with eth0. So far so
good. I then looked carefully at eth0 and eth1 with pico, without
changing either (should've used cat, perhaps). They had both changed,
and were now identical except for their names. Example:

NAME=localhost
DEVICE=eth1
IPADDR=192.168.1.101
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
DNS1=151.199.0.39
DNS2=151.199.0.38

	Those last two seem surprising; I thought the point of dhcp was
that they would change each time I turn the DSL modem on or off -- or
have a power failure that the surge protector can't handle ...

	Anyway, I went unplugged the cable, and went back to
following the book. Both eth0 and eth1 failed this time, instead of just
eth1, when i got to network start.

	Another synapse triggered. I plugged the cable back in and went
through to network stop and start again. This time eth0 came up right
away; eth1 took its sweet time, and failed yet again.

	I went on following the book anyway: unplugged, and tried
connecting. My ssh to this account neither failed at once (as it has
been doing) not succeeded; the error message, which just took a lot
longer was the usual "Temporary failure in name resolution."

	I invoked Phoenix. Again failure, but taking much longer. While
it churned, I tried to ping 192.168.1.1 (the router). Again failure, but
this time with a different message: it now says

>From 192.168.1.103: Destination Host Unreachable  -- over and over till
I hit ^C, with 100% packet loss.

	But at least it's different, and not "refused".

	One of the lines I gave it, trying to adapt the manual to the
machinery after reading a man page, was

/sbin/iwconfig eth1 essid xxxxx enc s:yyyyy

where xxxxx is my SSID, and yyyyy is my password on the router. (I got
that s: in front of it from the man page,)

	Am I close at last??
--
Beartooth the Stubborn <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
Double Retiree, Neo-Redneck, Linuxer's Apprentice