YDL & router (#2 of 2)

Ron McCall yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Mar 30 21:42:01 2003

On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 04:36:55PM -0800, Beartooth wrote:
> 	Running a router with Verizon DSL pretty much requires it -- or
> maybe even without the router, afaik. So it's not just dialup. (Fwiw,
> Verizon does PPP0E.)

My DSL also does PPPoE but I have my router set to handle that.  The
router itself gets a dynamic IP address from the DSL provider for its
WAN address.  It usually gets an address of 192.168.1.1 on the LAN side.
Your computer can then take advantage of the DHCP server in the router
to get an IP address from the router (probably 192.168.1.100) or you can
use a static IP address (with or without DHCP enabled in the router).  I
chose 192.168.1.2 for my first computer and count up from there.

> 	I see "alias eth0 sungem" in mine, buth nothing containing eth1; the
> rest all start with "sound".
>
> 	The olist that gives has a size and a column saying "used by 0" --
> and then blank -- after airport.

Sounds like your airport driver is already getting loaded somehow.  That
should be fine.  You can ignore the alias for eth1 in /etc/modules.conf.
My output from lsmod is the same as yours so you should be OK there.

> 	Does the second paragraph above explain the first? My understanding
> has been that dhcp was it.

Note my first paragraph about.  Does that answer your question?

> 	How do I tell? And I do recall that, where i was stuck with a flaky
> dialup, I never did manage to make YDL connect at all. That's quite
> possibly the largest single reason I want to ge tupgraded to 3.0 --
> OSX makes my teeth itch and my fingernails crawl.

Do you have an ifcfg-ppp1 file in your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
directory?  I am assuming that would be the file that is causing your
ppp1 interface to appear (just a guess though).

Ron