can I get my Apple_partition_map partition back?

bruce yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 1 10:38:01 2003

Thank you Dan Burcaw!

Your updated pdisk works as advertised.  OSX can now boot and my
'movies' disk is now visible.  The only disappointment was that my high
school age daughter had a movie project on that drive that is part of
her school requirements.  I thought we had the perfect excuse for it not
being completed:"The Yellowdog ate my homework!"

Some notes:
The new pdisk rpm will only work with YDL3.0 because it requires
GLIBC(2.3).  If other people like myself have installed on SCSI drives
then YDL3.0 fails to come up (unable to mount root-panic).  It appears
that YDL30 stock vmlinix doesn't have SCSI compiled in.  (Funny the
installer loads AIC7xxx and finds the SCSI drives ok.  I would think the
installer ran on the same kernel - go figure) I got around this by
copying vmlinux-2.4.12a from my 2.3 install into the /boot dir of the
3.0 disk and pointing yaboot to that image.  It boots but complains a
lot about dependencies.

Thanks again.  I still like your product.

Regards,
Bruce

Dan Burcaw wrote:

> I've updated 'pdisk' to be able to easily fix the Apple_partition_map
> issue.  Again, this issue seems to only occur on machines with two hard
> disks.  Mac OS 9 or OS X may not boot because of this problem. The gist
> is that the first partition of your (likely second hard drive) has the
> 'boot' flag toggled.  As a result, it is labled with the partition type
> "Apple_Bootstrap" instead of "Apple_partition_map".  This is due to a
> big in Anaconda, the Yellow Dog installer and the Parted partition
> program that it uses.  It will be fixed in future ISO revisions of
> Yellow Dog Linux 3.0, and future releases.

---snip