Blue & White G3 Rage 128

webkiosk yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun May 4 19:52:01 2003

I had the same problem, but with Rage 128 on a 9600. My first install
defaulted to the "fbdev" driver, which looked fine but was not
accelerated.

If I just switched to r128, X11 would crash. However, when I did
Xautoconfig, it gave a version of "XF86Config" that used r128, but
wouldn't go higher than 1024x768. Plus, it would see the card as
"unknown"

>From there, I was able to use the display control panel to "identify"
the video card. I duplicated the "special options" that were generated
by Xautoconfig -- just in case.

It works the same, but with all items correctly identified -- however,
it still won't offer me the option of going higher than 1024x768.

Instead of fighting it (because I really don't know how) I just put a
smaller monitor on it -- I'm only just learning this, after all.

If anyone else has any experiences here, I'd like to know -- fyi, YDL
2.3 could give me 1280x1024 without a hiccup.

Also, none of my screen savers seem to work. Not a big deal, really, but
I wonder if that is also related to the display driver issue?

thanks everybody,
Ted