Are there USB issues with 800/900 MHz iBooks/YDL 3.0?

Aurel Wisse yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 6 08:25:01 2003

Thank you for answering Tim.

--- Tim Seufert <tas@mindspring.com> wrote:
> What makes you sure these things were caused by the
> OPTi controller?

1) Comments by David Brownell
2) The "Optifix" code in the Darwin source.

> Anyways, all AGP macs use OHCI USB controllers
> integrated into the Key
> Largo south bridge IC, rather than a discrete PCI
> OHCI USB chip like
> the OPTi in your iMac.  Later AGP machines such as
> the iBook you're
> interested in use one USB controller per port for
> better total
> throughput when using high speed USB devices on both
> ports.
> Furthermore, iBooks and PowerBooks use a pseudo-ADB
> bus rather than USB
> for the internal keyboard and trackpad (there's no
> physical ADB bus but
> it looks like ADB to the OS).
Good. That's what I hoped.
>  This means you'll
> actually have just one
> USB device per USB bus, which may mask the bugs you
> experienced
> (whether hardware or software) even if they're still
> present.
This sounds reassuring: I could put my interrupt
devices (mouse,keyboard) on one port and the bulk ones
on the other *if* there is a problem with the HC.

> (Actually I take that back; I think the internal
> soft modem is a USB
> device now, so one bus will have two devices on it.)
Hmmm... I miss the good old stable serial/parallel
ports, and hw modems...

Aurel