3.0 on TiBook 667

Jim Potter yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 6 15:09:01 2003

I agree with Dan.  This is the best Linux release I've installed, from any distro.
There are *always* things that crop up -- I suppose that one could wait until the
thing's overly mature, but that's not what you're going to get on an initial release.

My list of things (3.0 installed on a TiBook 667):

- It couldn't find the screen size (it found the RageM6 video adapter, though).  To
run X  I had to manually edit the XF86Config-4 file to reflect the 1152x768 screen;
then X started OK but it sorta freaks out for a second when starting up.

- MOL doesn't run; it locks up at the screen with the graphic of the penguin hugging
the apple (I haven't had a chance to pursue this).

- I wasn't able to me the ftp or tftp server work, when enabled the same way as with
earlier releases.  Again, I haven't yet taken the time to debug this -- I'll
eventually get to figuring it out, but if anyone already knows, let's hear it.

> On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 07:37, Lee Parry wrote:
> > > Richard,
> > >
> > > It did not "serious damage" anything. The issue is trivial and
> > > simple to fix.
> > >
> > > Please read:
> > > http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2003-April/007
> > > 186.html
> > >
> > > before you jump to conclusions.
> > >

> > Although I'd agree that the fix is a relatively trivial matter, and all in
> > all this isn't the end of the world, it is still surprising that such a bug
> > got through to the final release.
>
> No, it's not surprising. When people don't pay to support us, we can't
> hire a dedicated quality assurance. Your likely response will be "well
> do public betas".  Frankly, the same man power issue comes up again.
> Just reading hundreds of bug reports would require more people then
> we have.  Solution: if you want fewer bugs, you gotta put up the bucks.
>
> That said, this is the best release ever. I'm trying to feel good about
> that despite people jumping all over this bug.

>                        Name: signature.asc
>    signature.asc       Type: application/pgp-signature

Sincerely,

Jim Potter
45th Parallel Processing, Inc.

  Volunteer Firefighting: Bustin' ours, Savin' yours.