Drive Setup for YDL (nathan r. hruby)

Bill Judd yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 9 13:50:01 2003

Nathan, et. al.,

Nathan wrote:
> So.. I have a second disk on which I'm going to install YDL3 (already
> prepared for the 'second disk issue' :)  But I'm wondering what the
> best layout for this disk should be.  It's a 180GB disk on which I
> want to
> use a portion of the space for an additional MocOSX install, possibly a
> test OSX-Server install, YDL, and possibly Gentoo as well :)
>
> So.. I'm thinking (From a Disk Utility Prespective) I should layout the
> disk in this order:
> # Top/front of disk
>   - 60 GB Unallocated for Linux(es) to chop up into bite size pieces
> for
>     each linux.
>   - 40 GB OSX
>   - 40 GB OSX-Server
>   - 20 GB Empty HFS+ to play with
> # bottom/end of disk
>
> Anyone see issues with that layout?  Additionally, this disk will need
> boot into os9, so I'm going to need to install the drivers on to the
> disk, I recall there there's an issue with having more that 17
> partitions
> on a disk.. is this still a truism?  I might run into that.

Here's a quote from the (Mac OS X) man page for "pdisk", Apple's
low-level partitioning tool:

"Creating more than fifteen partitions is not advised.  There is
currently
      a bug in the some (all?) of the kernels which causes access to the
whole
      disk fail if more than fifteen partitions are in the map."

If you use Apple's "Disk Utility" to do your formatting, and you add
the OS 9 drivers, your first "user" partition will be #9 of 15.

Best regards,

Bill Judd