Missing ipt_LOG.o for Firewall Logging in 3.0

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 9 16:22:08 2003

At 15:06 -0700 on 2003-5-9 Morgan Doocy wrote:

 > > I am not sure how comfortable you are with compiling kernels...
 >
 > Haven't done it yet, but now's a good time to learn. :-)
 >
 > However, it seems as though I should be able to just compile the libs I
 > need, rather than recompiling the entire thing, especially if the
 > kernel is same version and distribution. Is this possible?

Yes, it should be possible, this is what you do when you compile the
MOL kernel modules or the wireless-tools package.  You still need a
source tree for your target kernel.  Most importantly, you also need
the source of the modules you want to compile, with a suitable
makefile.  I doubt that you can find sources for the NAT thing outside
the kernel tree, but who knows, I never looked for them so I would not
know.

You have to build from source though, binary modules compiled for
another kernel spell trouble.  They could work if you are lucky, but
the system map is different so chances are they won't.

In all, I see a kernel compilation in your future. ;-)

This being said, it is kind of strange that the LOG target is not
compiled in the stock kernel...

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.