YDL 3.0 Installation questions

Herouth Maoz yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 10 12:31:01 2003

Hi. I am trying to install YDL on my main G4 (AGP 400MHz), alongside
MacOS9. I bought the Geek Edition and am working with the originals.

I got past the first hurdle which was booting the CD - the machine
refuses - by booting from OF. By the way, I got the instructions on
how to do that from the - ahem - Mandrake installation guide. Oh well.

Now, here are the questions:

1. My setup has two graphics cards and two monitors. The main monitor
is the one connected to the AGP card, which is an ATI Rage 128 Pro.
The secondary one is in PCI slot D, and it's an ATI XClaim LT Pro.
However, although the YDL installer recognizes the ATI Rage 128 Pro
and the brand name monitor connected to it - it actually starts on
the secondary monitor. To be more exact, the OF prompt appears on the
main monitor. The first boot page, which displays some register
values and things about a picture being loaded, goes on the main
monitor. But then, all the boot process, self configuration etc. go
on the secondary monitor and so does X. In addition, when I attempt
to configure X at the end of the installation process, it once again
recognizes the card, but the same problem occurs when I boot into the
installed system, and since the secondary monitor can't support the
resolution I selected for the main monitor, havoc ensues (boot never
completes, seems to go into some sort of an infinite loop).

2. I have an old ergonomic keyboard connected through an ADB-to-USB
connector. In order to get into Open Firmware, I had to connect my
original keyboard too (I have a USB hub). However, this causes yaboot
and YDL to ignore the old keyboard and not accept input from it. OF
doesn't either. How do I make YDL/yaboot recognize my old keyboard,
or will disconnecting the apple keyboard cause the old one to be
recognized automatically?

3. I have a local network and a modem. Anaconda recognizes the
network card, but says nothing about the modem. Since the modem is my
connection to the outside world, I don't put in a DNS and gateway
address. But the installer doesn't present me with a PPP setup. So,
basically, the firewall setup is irrelevant since I don't have my
real connection on the menu. Is this an oversight or am I missing
something? Also, after booting, Kudzu says it is removing a "Generic
Serial Modem" from the setup. Doesn't this mean that I will not have
my modem device once I succeed in booting (see question 1 as to why I
don't succeed in booting).

Herouth
--
EMAIL: herouth@spamcop.net