Suspension Problems et. al.

S.M.Kelly yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 10 15:00:08 2003

--=-M3Qfvc06KCxLZSdVSztW

Richard,
I, too have the same problems you have been having.  I'm not sure if my
TiBook is a Mercury or not, but it was a Sept, 2001 G4 550.  anyhow the
suspend problems are indeed big problems.  I am so used to just dropping
the lid on my machine when I used only OS9 & OSX.  Now, I have to
totally power down my laptop each time I want to close up.

I have found out that (under KDE) I can turn off the suspend for the
display in the KDE Control Center under "Power Control."  This has
prevented my machine from automatically suspending while I was on
battery power.  Also, when I go to configure the "Laptop Battery"
configurations it says the following:

"If you make /usr/bin/apm setuid then you will also be able to choose
'suspend and stanby' in the above dialog - check out the help button
below find out how to do this"

Well, this doesn't mean a damn thing to me except that something isn't
configured right.  I checked "the help button below" and found it
equally unhelpful.  Hmmm......  maybe we can get some help here?

**So far the only 3 issues that have really kept me from a "total YDL
sell-out" are this suspend issue, the lack of fonts without an easy way
to import more, and finally a lack of Flash support by Macromedia for
PPC.  Other than that, I'm absolutely in love with YDL.  Maybe the next
major release (which I WILL purchase to keep up the good work) will at
least be able to address the first two issues.

Sean M.Kelly
Harrisburg, PA USA
=============================
SMKSensei@Mac.com
"A Windows professional who uses a Mac running Linux."

On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 15:04, Richard Spillane wrote:

> OK, so I have tried to remedy this solution on the newbie list, and I
> was told there wasnąt anything they could do by multiple people.  So I
> will try this list.  I use a TiBook 2001 Mercury A revision and it
> canąt and will not suspend when I close the lid, at least not for a
> substantial duration. Sometimes it will suspend when its in terminal
> (X isnąt running) and come back, but after a period of time it wonąt
> come out of suspend even then.  Now I have tried to figure out why,
> but I am completely new to PPC Linux (I use x86 Linux usually) and it
> hasnąt been easy for me to do anything (I still canąt get apt-get
> update to work without errors) but this suspension problem is pretty
> serious.  If I canąt figure out how to make it work, does anybody know
> how to turn the damn thing off at least?  Thanks for any help.
>

> Richard S.
>
> rspillan@ic.sunysb.edu

-

--=-M3Qfvc06KCxLZSdVSztW

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY LINK="#0000ff">
Richard,<BR>
I, too have the same problems you have been having.&nbsp; I'm not sure if my TiBook is a Mercury or not, but it was a Sept, 2001 G4 550.&nbsp; anyhow the suspend problems are indeed big problems.&nbsp; I am so used to just dropping the lid on my machine when I used only OS9 &amp; OSX.&nbsp; Now, I have to totally power down my laptop each time I want to close up.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
I have found out that (under KDE) I can turn off the suspend for the display in the KDE Control Center under &quot;Power Control.&quot;&nbsp; This has prevented my machine from automatically suspending while I was on battery power.&nbsp; Also, when I go to configure the &quot;Laptop Battery&quot; configurations it says the following:<BR>
<BR>
&quot;If you make /usr/bin/apm setuid then you will also be able to choose 'suspend and stanby' in the above dialog - check out the help button below find out how to do this&quot;<BR>
<BR>
Well, this doesn't mean a damn thing to me except that something isn't configured right.&nbsp; I checked &quot;the help button below&quot; and found it equally unhelpful.&nbsp; Hmmm......&nbsp; maybe we can get some help here?<BR>
<BR>
**So far the only 3 issues that have really kept me from a &quot;total YDL sell-out&quot; are this suspend issue, the lack of fonts without an easy way to import more, and finally a lack of Flash support by Macromedia for PPC.&nbsp; Other than that, I'm absolutely in love with YDL.&nbsp; Maybe the next major release (which I WILL purchase to keep up the good work) will at least be able to address the first two issues.<BR>
<BR>
<PRE>Sean M.Kelly
Harrisburg, PA USA
SMKSensei@Mac.com
&quot;A Windows professional who uses a Mac running Linux.&quot;</PRE>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>