Full boot text not displayed

Jeffrey Windsor yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 10 19:22:09 2003

Yeah, that boot-text problem is a major one for me... since when
something went wrong and I needed to interact with the console -- and
there wasn't any console. I must have re-installed Mandrake 20 times
(no kidding). Pathetic.

Frustratingly, Mandrake claims to provide an alternate kernel on their
disk, but don't give you any option of installing it in the standard
installation. I had to scrounge around on their disks to find the
mandrake-approved alternate. But I was also successful with a benh
kernel from http://www.ppckernel.org/

For me, on my happy little ole iBook, I chose one of the "specialized"
kernels (from the links on the left of the page). Following the
instructions next to the kernels is pretty straightforward and easy.
Compiling is pretty easy, too, but I never wanted to invest that much
time and processor power into the process. Check out what's there, they
seem to have a nice selection. It's pretty much trial-and-error to find
the right one (as far as I know).

If you have console access, but not boot messages, I'd probably just
try the boot args and see if they work. As I mentioned before
"video=ofonly" works for newworld machines -- I can't speak about
oldworld.

--jw