-- FireWire Advice --

Thierry de Coulon yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 12 11:19:01 2003

On Sunday 11 May 2003 23:50, c asunto wrote:
> I am sort of a newbie, but I can get around. I am looking for some advice
> or a link to somewhere that will help me use a firewire drive.
>
> It is totally empty now and can be formatted to work in the esasiest way. I
> will be using it just to throw files on and to retrieve. I will probbaly
> keep all music on it too.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks

Hello,

I use a firewire HD with my iBook rev 2. It's actually very simple:

- connect the firewire drive
- start a console and become root (su)
- cd to /sbin and type the following:

./modprobe ohci1394
./modprobe sbp2

Now your firewire drive should be /dev/sda (or /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc if you have
other scsi or usb-with-scsi-emulation drives). Find out what partition you're
using (in my case its Nr 10 because I created a mixed hfs/ext3 disk) and:

mount /dev/sda10 /firewire

It's done (and works well).

Thierry