YDL3.0 on OldWorld...

Rick Sheridan yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 13 06:39:01 2003

I am not sure about the Newer Tech cards. My understanding is these cards
work.  With the Sonnet card I install YDL with the upgrade card disabled,
then I've modified the 'Sonnet Processor Upgrade' Extension to load before
'BootX' (I believe the Newer Tech extension does load early).

Are you sure that you have the correct kernel is selected in 'BootX'?  This
sounds silly, but I have spent some wasted hours because I had the wrong
kernel selected.

If your hard drive is SCSI you will most likely need a different kernel.
This was a problem I had with an earlier version of YDL (I have since
replaced the SCSI drive with a larger IDE).  Go here for instructions and
links to a good SCSI kernel:

http://macgix-services.com/mgx/ydl3oldworld.html

You might also try using a different version of 'BootX'.  There may be a
problem with 'BootX 1.2.2'  and the 'Newer Tech' extension.  At one time in
these forums I was told that 'BootX' couldn't be a problem, but I've noticed
that YDL 3.0 went back to ver. 1.2.2.  YDL 2.X had a "custom" 'BootX 1.2.3'
and a kernel built to use larger RAM disks. There can also be issues if you
are using Mac OS 9, or 8.6, etc.  In other words, it might just be you need
to put just the right pieces together for success.  Go here for other
versions of 'BootX':

http://penguinppc.org/~benh/

Rick