Drive Setup for YDL

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 13 22:47:01 2003

Well, you learn something new every day.  That's good to know that in YDL I
don't have to worry about other partitions getting renumbered when I split a
low-numbered partition.

As far as physical locations of partitions... In the old days (when the
world was new and everything was simple) it did make a difference because
you wanted to keep the amount of disk arm travel to a minimum, so as to
minimize the time spent seeking.  Today it hardly matters because things are
"fast enough" without such tweaking. Also, many disks today have "logical"
cylinder numbers that don't necessarily correlate in any way to physical
cylinder numbers so you can't know if you're doing harm or good by tweaking
things.

There were even people who cared so much about getting the last milligram of
performance out of their machines that they went as far as to ignore half
the space on a disk drive because doing so would halve the seek time.  Not a
trick I would recommend today.

Rick